State Parks Plan OK KIDS Days, Free Entrance in May
Many parks combine OK Kids and Free Park Entrance days first weekend in May
PRATT — April showers have brought May flowers to Kansas state parks, and with flowers come warm weather and more outdoor events. Many of the highlights of state park events are OK Kids Days. This May, five state parks will conduct events specifically for youth. These events provide opportunities for kids across Kansas to experience various outdoor activities, from birdwatching to fishing clinics. For many, this is an introduction to the outdoors. For others, it is a rekindling of outdoor interests.
State parks planning combined OK Kids Days and Free Park Entrance Days in May include Cheney, May 3-4; Eisenhower, May 3; Meade, May 3-4; Prairie Dog, May 3; and Webster, May 3-4. Hillsdale State Park will conduct a Free Park Entrance Day May 11.Other May events range from crappie tournaments to horse trail rides to the Governor’s Cup Walleye Fishing Tournament (at Glen Elder State Park, May 4). Each park sets its own dates for these events.
Many events are educational and all make visiting Kansas state parks more fun. For more information on state park events, phone individual parks or click the ” Event Calendar” on the “State Parks” page of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us.
Park goers are urged to phone the park they intend to visit before traveling. T elephone numbers of all state parks offices may be found on the KDWP website. Click “State Parks” at the top of the page, then “Locations” in the left-hand column.
The following is a list of other state park events for May:
- May 3 – Crappie Masters fishing tournament, Tuttle Creek State Park;
- May 4 — Crappie Busters fishing tournament, Tuttle Creek State Park;
- May 4 — Twin Rivers Bass Club of Emporia fishing tournament, Hillsdale State Park;
- May 4 — Governor’s Cup Walleye Tournament, Glen Elder State Park;
- May 4 — annual bird walk, Meade State Park;
- May 10 — Women on Target shooting event, Tuttle Creek State Park;
- May 10 — Jack Pot Buddy bass tournament, Milford State Park;
- May 10 — Catfish Nation fishing tournament, Eisenhower State Park;
- May 10-11 — Middle of The Trail Distance Riders Association competitive horse trail ride, Eisenhower State Park;
- May 17 — Olathe Community Sportsman’s Club fishing tournament, Eisenhower State Park;
- May 18 — Riley County Fish and Game fishing tournament, Tuttle Creek State Park;
- May 18 — Douglas County Trailriders horse trail ride, Perry State Park;
- May 22 — Kansas American Public Works Association public works equipment show, Milford State Park;
- May 24 — Dutch oven cook-off, Cross Timbers State Park;
- May 24-26 — Heartland Coursing dog field trial, Clinton State Park;
- May 25 — Wright Flight of Kansas/Missouri horse trail ride, Eisenhower State Park;
- May 31-June 1 — Kansas Bass Chapter Federation Team Series, fishing tournament, Cedar Bluff State Park; and
- May 31 — 4th annual youth fishing tournament, Glen Elder State Park.