Public Comments Sought on Wright County Wildlife Restoration Project
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is accepting public comments through June 18 on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) for the proposed restoration of Pelican Lake, a 4,000-acre designated wildlife management lake in Wright County near Albertville and St. Michael.
Charlotte Cohn, DNR environmental planner, said the EAW describes the environmental effects associated with a proposal by the DNR’s Division of Fish and Wildlife that would reduce high water levels on Pelican Lake, create an outlet weir, construct 23,800 feet of new stream channel, restore a 180-acre wetland, stabilize the lower reaches of Regal Creek and create a velocity fish-tube barrier.
The project is proposed to improve and enhance wildlife management surrounding Pelican Lake and nearby portions of the Regal Creek watershed, according to the EAW which is available to review at the following locations:
- DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul
- DNR Central Region Office, 1200 Warner Road, St. Paul
- DNR Fish and Wildlife Area Office, 940 Industrial Drive South, #103, Sauk Rapids
- DNR Area Fisheries Office, 7372 Minnesota Highway 25 SW, Montrose
- Minneapolis Public Library, Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis
- Great River Regional Library, 405 St. Germain St. West, St. Cloud
- Buffalo Public Library, 18 NW Lake Boulevard, Buffalo
- Monticello Public Library, 200 West 6th St., Monticello
- Roy Simms Library at the St. Michael Public Library, Colonial Mall, 403 Central Ave. East, St. Michael
Project construction would occur in phases over six to eight years beginning in 2009 once easements are acquired, project funding obtained and detailed design and construction plans developed.
The EAW will be posted at mndnr.gov/input, select Pelican Lake Restoration Project from the Environmental Review list for additional information. Copies of the EAW are available by calling (651) 259-5101.
Written comments on the EAW are due at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 18. Comments submitted via regular mail must be sent to Charlotte Cohn, EAW Project Manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, Division of Ecological Resources, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, Minn., 55155-4025.
Comments also may be submitted via e-mail to environmental [dot] review [at] dnr [dot] state [dot] mn [dot] us with the subject line of “Pelican Lake Restoration Project” or via fax at (651) 297-1500.