State Parks Prepare For June Weather, Free Fishing Days
As summer heats up, parks plan more events for increased visitation
PRATT — Although the first official day of summer is June 20, most Kansans consider June the first full month of summer and begin planning trips to their favorite state parks. To enhance those visits, park staff conduct a variety of special events throughout the state. From Free Park Entrance Days to events celebrating a special attribute of an individual park, Kansas state parks have something for everyone.
The highlight of June is Free Fishing Days, June 7-8. On these two days, Kansans will be able to fish without having to buy a license, making a state park visit even more attractive because state parks provide convenient access to lakes and reservoirs. Although Free Fishing Days apply to waters statewide, special Free Fishing Day events will be held at Glen Elder, Lovewell, Pomona, Tuttle Creek, and Wilson state parks. (Other parks may plan last minute events. For more information, contact the nearest KDWP office or search for an event on the internet at www.rbff.org.)
Free Park Entrance Days are popular statewide, and each park sets its own dates for these events when anyone can enter the park without purchasing a daily park entrance permit. Many events are educational, and all make visiting Kansas state parks more fun. For more information on state park events, phone individual parks or click the ” Event Calendar” on the “State Parks” page of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us.
Park goers are urged to phone the park they intend to visit before traveling. Telephone numbers of all state parks offices may be found on the KDWP website. Click “State Parks” at the top of the page, then “Locations” in the left-hand column.
The following is a list of Kansas state park events for June:
- June 1 — Atchison Bass Club Fishing Tournament, Perry State Park;
- June 1 — Lovewell Reservoir 50th Anniversary Celebration, Lovewell State Park;
- June 5-8 — Wakarusa Camping and Music Festival, Clinton State Park;
- June 7-8 — Free Park Entrance Days, OK Kids Day, free fishing clinic, Wilson State Park;
- June 7-8 — Free Park Entrance Days, Free Fishing Weekend, Glen Elder State Park;
- June 7-8 — Free Fishing Weekend, Tuttle Creek State Park;
- June 7 — National Trails Day, Free Park Entrance Day, Fall River State Park;
- June 7 — Kids Fishing Derby, Pomona State Park;
- June 7-8 — Free Park Entrance Days, Pomona State Park;
- June 7-8 — Great Plains personal watercraft racing event, Perry State Park;
- June 7 — OK Kids Day, Wilson State Park;
- June 7 — Friends of the Park playground dedication, Pomona State Park;
- June 8 — Kids Fishing Derby, Lovewell State Park;
- June 12-15 — Eastern Kansas Arabian Horse Association competitive trail ride, Hillsdale State Park;
- June 14 — water quality project, fishing tournament, Hillsdale State Park;
- June 15 — Free Park Entrance Day, Hillsdale State Park;
- June 15 — Frontier Heritage Festival (Budweiser Clydesdales and horse trail ride), El Dorado State Park;
- June 17-22 — Miami County Livestock Association Trail Ride, Hillsdale State;
- June 21 — Vango Fundraiser (art auction for inner city kids), Clinton State Park; and
- June 26-29 — Country Stampede Music Festival, Tuttle Creek State Park.