Apply For Antlerless Big Game Permits

No Gravatar

Hunt applications will be available starting June 2

You might have a better chance at drawing a cow elk, cow moose or doe pronghorn hunting permit this year.

Utah’s elk, moose and pronghorn populations are doing well, and the number of permits offered for each species has been increased for this fall’s hunts.

Most of Utah’s antlerless big game permits are taken in the state’s annual draw. You can apply for a permit starting June 2 at or by calling (801) 538-4700.

To get your application in the draw for permits, you must submit it through the Web site no later than 11 p.m. on June 30. Applications also will be accepted at (801) 538-4700 until 5 p.m. on June 30.

The following are the number of permits that will be available this year:

Species and numbers of permits

  • Cow elk: 10,529
  • Cow moose: 109
  • Doe pronghorn: 727
  • Doe deer: 1,170

In addition to hunts on public land, many of Utah’s private Cooperative Wildlife Management Units offer antlerless permits to Utah residents. Applications for CWMU permits will also be accepted from June 2 through June 30.

“The chance you’ll take an animal during an antlerless hunt is usually higher than it is during a hunt for an animal with antlers,” says Anis Aoude, big game coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. “Antlerless hunts are a great way to get out and enjoy nature. And they allow you to put some good meat on the table.”

For more information, call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the DWR’s Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.