Free Fishing Day Aims To Hook New Anglers
Saturday, June 7 is Idaho’s Free Fishing Day and the Idaho Fish and Game’s Lewiston office invites anglers, residents and nonresidents, to celebrate the day by fishing Idaho’s waters without a license.
Fish and Game personnel and volunteers will be on hand to help first time anglers discover the joys of fishing at the following free events offered from 9 a.m. to noon in the Clearwater Region.
- Mann Lake near Lewiston
- Spring Valley Reservoir east of Troy
- Fenn Pond, five miles from Lowell on Forest Service Road 223
- Wilkin’s Pond, on the prairie west of Grangeville
- Karolyn’s Pond near Elk City
- Box Canyon Pond (also known as Long Gulch Pond) near Riggins
- Deer Creek Reservoir near Headquarters
The Mann Lake and Spring Valley events will have several activity stations for kids that include casting and fishing contests, aquariums with live fish, Gyotaku fish printing, fish identification, and a cleaning and cooking demonstration.
Single-parent families are encouraged to attend and all children must be accompanied by an adult. A limited number of rods and reels will be available for loan, but participants are encouraged to bring their own equipment if possible. Prizes will also be given away while supplies last.
All other fishing regulations pertaining to limits, opening dates and tackle restrictions remain in effect.