Eddy Discovery Center Announces June Nature Programs
The Eddy Discovery Center, located at the Waterloo State Recreation Area near Chelsea, has announced its nature programs for June. All programs are best suited for children between the ages of 7 and 12, and children participating in the programs must be accompanied by an adult.
The schedule for June includes:
- Terrific Turtles. At 11 a.m. Wednesday, June 18, the center will host a program on turtles found in the area, and ways you can help protect turtles.
- Rockin’ Rocks. At 11 a.m. Thursday, June 19, the three major rock groups and the rock cycle will be explored in this program with the staff geologist from the center. Rocks found along the center’s Rock Walkway will be discussed.
- Beginning Birding. At 10 a.m. Friday, June 20, participants are invited to go birding to see woodland and water birds. Binoculars will be provided.
- Massasauga Rattlesnake. At 11 a.m. Saturday, June 21, there will be a program on Michigan’s only venomous snake. A video will be shown that emphasizes the importance of this species and the research that is being done on the snake.
- Stream Ecology. At 11 a.m. Wednesday, June 25, participants will walk to a nearby stream to discover the organisms that live in this habitat. Children should wear boots or old tennis shoes for wading in shallow water.
- Petoskey Stone Polishing. At 11 a.m. Thursday, June 26, join the staff geologist and polish your own Petoskey stone to take home. Learn about the state stone and what stories this fossil tells us. Stones and kits will be supplied.
- Spring Pond Trail Hike. At 11 a.m. Friday, June 27, there will be a hike around the Spring Pond to learn about the wildlife and plants that live in the wetlands.
- Mammals. At 11 a.m. Saturday, June 30, participants can learn about several of the mammals that live in Michigan, such as raccoons and wolves.
- All programs are free; however, a 2008 State Park Motor Vehicle Permit is required to enter Waterloo State Recreation Area. Permits are $24 for a resident annual and $6 for a resident daily, or $29 for a non-resident annual and $8 for a non-resident daily.
To register for these programs or to get more information, please call the center at 734-475-3170.