Most State Parks and Reservoirs Open After Storms
Most of Indiana’s state parks and reservoirs are open and ready for use this week, according to Dan Bortner, director of the Department of Natural Resources Division of Indiana State Parks and Reservoirs.
“A few of our properties have facilities closed or have reduced some operations due to high water or storm damage. I am so proud of our staff and how they are responding to this situation. Almost all of our properties are open and ready for hiking, camping, fishing, swimming and interpretive programs. Our inns are open as well,” Bortner said.
In locations where camping facilities, cabins or shelters must be closed temporarily, guests with reservations are being contacted either by the DNR property or through the Central Reservation System to let them know the status and make them aware of other possible locations with campsites, cabins or shelters available.
To check on a camping or shelter reservation, contact the Central Reservation System Call Center at 1-866-622-6746.
Storm-related closures are affecting only the seven properties listed below. There are no closures at any of the other (24) state parks and reservoirs at this time.
- Brookville Lake: Beaches at Mounds SRA and Quakertown SRA are currently closed but should reopen by the weekend. For local updates, call (765) 647-2657.
- Cagles Mill Lake: Cunot SRA and the lower falls at Cataract SRA are closed. The marina and beach are closed at Lieber SRA. The campground, pool and all other facilities are open, but no drinking water is available. For local updates, call (765) 795-4576.
- Harmonie State Park: Horse trails, boat ramp and all overnight facilities will be closed on June 12 when rising water from the Wabash River is expected to cross the park road. These facilities and likely will remain closed through June 19 as the Wabash River crests and recedes. The swimming pool and three picnic areas with four shelters will remain open. For local updates, call (812) 682-4821.
- Monroe Lake: All beaches are currently closed. Some campsites and boat ramps are closed. Some roads are flooded and impassable. For local updates call (812) 837-9546.
- Patoka Lake: Beach is closed; campground and all other facilities are open; for local updates call (812) 685-2464.
- Raccoon SRA at Cecil M. Harden Lake: The beach is closed. July 4th fireworks will be moved to Saturday, Aug. 30. The campground and launching ramp are currently open but additional rain may close the main SRA road. For the latest conditions, call (765) 344-1412.
- Shakamak State Park: All facilities are closed and will remain so at least through June 15. For local updates, call (812) 665-2158.
In addition, all facilities are back open at Turkey Run State Park and Salamonie Lake following some storm damage last weekend. For local information at Turkey Run, call (765) 597-2635. For local information at Salamonie Lake, call (260) 468-2125.