Waterfowl Information Meetings and Rule Hearings Set
MADISON — The Mississippi Flyway Council will meet later this summer to advise the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) on waterfowl conditions before the federal agency establishes a framework under which states and provinces can set waterfowl hunting seasons.
Following the flyway council meeting and after the USFWS sets a season framework, public hearings on Wisconsin’s proposed waterfowl seasons will be held in August. The final Wisconsin seasons will be set by the state Natural Resource Board at its Aug. 13 meeting.
The Mississippi Flyway Council is made up of waterfowl specialists from the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, and Wisconsin and the provinces of Manitoba, Ontario, and Saskatchewan of Canada within the Mississippi Waterfowl Flyway.
The DNR’s proposed waterfowl seasons will be available on the Waterfowl in Wisconsin page of the DNR Web site line later in July.
The following meetings on waterfowl surveys and possible season structures will be held:
2008 Pre-Flyway Meeting
- July 11, Portage – 7 p.m. in the Wisconsin Room, Comfort Suites, N5780 Kinney Rd. (Hwy 78 South)
2008 Post-Flyway Meetings
- August 2, Wausau – 9 a.m. (Conservation Congress Meeting) Three Rivers, The Plaza Hotel & Suites, room, 201 N 17th Ave.
- August 2, Wausau – 1 p.m. (DNR Meeting) Three Rivers room, The Plaza Hotel & Suites, , 201 N 17th Ave.
2008 Waterfowl rule Public Hearing Locations
- August 4, La Crosse – 7 p.m. in Rooms B-19 and B-20, State Office Bldg, 3550 Mormon Coulee Road.
- August 5, Rice Lake – 7 p.m. in Room 241, Wis. Indianhead Technical College (WITC), 1900 College Dr.
- August 6, Appleton – 7 p.m. in the Main conference room, Agricultural Services Center, 3369 West Brewster St.
- August 7, Delafield – 7 p.m. in Trecker Lodge, Kettle Moraine State Forest – Lapham Peak Unit, W329 N846 County Highway C. (Park entry fee will be waived for participants.)
In addition, written comments on the proposal will be accepted through Thursday, August 7 and may be mailed to James Christopoulos, Migratory Game Bird Assistant, Bureau of Wildlife Management, Wisconsin DNR, PO Box 7921, Madison WI 53707-7921 or by e-mail at [james [dot] christopoulos [at] wisconsin [dot] gov].
Natural Resources Board Meeting
- August 12-13, Platteville, Location: TBA
“These preliminary numbers indicate an overall average year for waterfowl numbers but we will not know for sure what these mean for seasons until after the Mississippi Flyway Council meeting at the end of July,” Van Horn said. “As we do each year, the public will have opportunities to provide input on waterfowl hunting season during our meetings and hearings. We’ll take that information to the Natural Resources Board along with a season structure proposal for approval on August 13.”
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Kent Van Horn – (608) 266-8841