Alabama Becoming An Outdoor Woman – (BOW)
The Next BOW Workshop is October 3-5, 2008 / Registration Available in Late July 2008
Nature-based recreation is an increasingly popular pastime among families. Yet, many women encounter barriers to the outdoors. Thanks to the exciting Becoming an Outdoors-Woman (BOW) program, scores of women are successfully overcoming these barriers. The BOW program is more than just an event, it is a nationwide movement.
BOW is a three day workshop designed for women ages 18 years or older. The workshop offers hands-on instruction in a fun and non-threatening learning environment. Participants choose from over 50 courses such as backyard wildlife, rock climbing, camp cooking, map and compass, camping, mountain biking, shooting sports (pistol, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, as well as gun safety), fishing, hunting, canoeing, nature photography, nature crafts, archery, ATV handling, bird watching, motor boat handling, and more.
This workshop is for you if . . .
- You have never tried these activities but have hoped for an opportunity to learn.
- You are a beginner who hopes to improve your skills.
- You already do some of these activities but would like to learn some new ones.
- You enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded individuals.
Becoming an Outdoors-Woman is held twice each year. The next workshop is October 5-7, 2007 at the Alabama 4H Center near Columbiana in Shelby County. Cost for the weekend adventure is $199 and covers meals, lodging, program materials and instruction. All instructional equipment is provided. For additional information about Becoming an Outdoors-Woman contact:
Sylvia Payne, Coordinator
Becoming an Outdoors-Woman
AL Department of Conservation & Natural Resources
64 North Union Street, Suite 106
Montgomery, AL 36130
Alabama’s Becoming an Outdoors-Woman workshops have been hailed as great successes. Enthusiastic participants offered many comments, such as:
- “All of the sessions were just great! The instructors were very patient and well informed. My confidence level has skyrocketed. I’m ready for the great outdoors!”
- “I really enjoyed the friendships made, the experiences shared, the knowledge learned. Thanks for everything.”
- “The instructors were what I liked the most! So knowledgeable and friendly.”
- “Archery was the greatest! Thanks for giving us this opportunity.”
- “I liked the leisurely pace of the workshops. We had ample opportunity to be social, relax, and still have plenty of time to learn.”
- “BOW changed my life four years ago. We had little in common, but my family now spends time together outdoors. I won’t miss another BOW!”
The Becoming an Outdoors-Woman workshop may change your life! Enrollment is limited to the first 130 applicants. Don’t be left out. Register early!