Michigan DNR Invites Public to Discuss Regional Bear Issues
Department of Natural Resources is inviting the public to participate in the bear management planning process. Throughout August, five public meetings will be held across Michigan to discuss regional bear issues.
“These meetings are an important first step in creating a bear management plan that includes the opinions of all Michigan citizens,” said Adam Bump, DNR bear specialist. “We need to understand the various issues that stakeholders have and inform the public about the science behind bear management.”
Throughout the next nine months, the DNR will be working with regional and statewide stakeholder groups to receive input on bear management concerns and guidance on potential bear management strategies. The DNR plans to have a bear management plan in draft format by winter 2009.
Public meetings locations and dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, Aug. 5: Crystal Falls, Mansfield Township Hall, 2804 State Hwy M-69
- Wednesday, Aug. 6: Newberry, America’s Best Value Inn, 12956 M-28
- Monday, Aug. 11: Hillman, Hillman Recreation Center, 24220 Veterans Memorial Hwy.
- Tuesday, Aug. 12: Cadillac, Cart T. Johnson Hunting and Fishing Center, 6087 East M-115
- Monday, Aug. 18: Lansing, Best Western Midway, 7711 West Saginaw Hwy.
At each location, the facilitated meetings will begin at 6 p.m. EST and end at 9 p.m. All interested persons are encouraged to attend and participate.
Individuals can also submit written comments via e-mail or U.S. mail. Send comments: Adam Bump, DNR Wildlife Division, P.O. Box 30444, Lansing, MI 48909 or via e-mail at: dnr-wld-wild [at] mighigan [dot] gov.
Persons with disabilities needing accommodations for effective participation in the meeting should contact Pauline Gray at 517-373-1263 or grayp [at] michigan [dot] gov, at least seven days prior to the meeting date to request mobility, visual, hearing, or other assistance.