DEM To Host 3rd Great Outdoors Pursuit Event in Conjunction With Governor’s Bay Day
Sh-h-h — Participants Must Figure Out Event Location from Clues Provided by DEM
PROVIDENCE – The Department of Environmental Management continues its search for families to play the 2008 Rhode Island Great Outdoors Pursuit, a contest that encourages Rhode Islanders to enjoy the recreational resources and outdoor activities our state parks have to offer – while moving toward a healthier lifestyle.
With the first two events at Lincoln Woods State Park and the Blackstone River Bikeway major successes, the Department would like to get even more families involved for the next three events. There is no cost to register and all activities are either free or low-cost. The general public who do not wish to register are also invited to participate in activities, but are not eligible to win contest prizes.
The third event will take place on Sunday, July 27 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in conjunction with Governor’s Bay Day activities, with team check in from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event will include:
- Music featuring the Rockin’ Soul Horns 12 p.m. – 2 p.m., sponsored by the Governor’s Office
- Bay Island Boat Tours by Save the Bay, sponsored by the Governor’s Office. Tours will depart at 12 p.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m., and 3 p.m. Tickets will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis
- Kids Great Outdoors Pursuit Games with park ranger Tommy Rosa
- Fishing and fishing instruction led by DEM’s Division of Fish and Wildlife (bring your own pole or DEM will provide)
- Self-guided biking (bring your own bikes)
- Guided walk in the woods led by DEM’s Division of Forestry
- Self-guided tree and plant identification hikes
- Health and wellness education featuring Blue Cross/Blue Shield of RI from 1 p.m. -3 p.m.
- Guided park naturalist programs led by DEM’s Division of Park & Recreation
Families are asked to bring a lunch, bicycles, sunscreen, lawn chairs or a blanket, and fishing poles.
For clues to the event location, visit the program website at http://www.riparks.com/RIOutdoorsPursuit/Home.htm. The event will take place rain or shine. In the event of severe inclement weather on the day of the event, please call (401) 723-7892 after 8:00 a.m. for cancellation notices.
Families who register now are still eligible for second and third place prizes, as well as giveaways at the events. Teams receive points for participating in each event and will be eligible for prizes of outdoor equipment donated by local retailers at the finale on August 24. Prizes include: 1st Place – a complete camping gear and vacation package donated by Wal-Mart; 2nd Place – a kayak and a $125 gift certificate for kayak lessons donated by Eastern Mountain Sports; and, 3rd Place – a bike donated by REI. The full schedule and game rules are posted on the program website: www.riparks.com. To date, more than 237 teams with 989 members are registered.
Support for the project comes from numerous game partners including United HealthCare, Wal-Mart, Eastern Mountain Sports, Hasbro, Inc., Kids First, REI, Rhode Island Department of Health, Coast 93.3 and Whole Foods Markets.
For more information, contact Steven Wright at (401) 222-2632 or email at RIparks [at] dem [dot] ri [dot] gov, or Terri Bisson at (401) 222-3434, ext. 4402 or email at terri [dot] bisson [at] dem [dot] ri [dot] gov.