Hunters in Wyoming Reminded to Pickup Stamps

No Gravatar

Hunters in Wyoming Reminded to Pickup StampsCHEYENNE— Hunting licenses are regarded by hunters as givens–one of those things that everyone knows needs to be picked up before going out in the field.  Most hunters are also aware that certain stamps are also needed to accompany hunting licenses; but there are some who are not aware of exactly who needs stamps and where they are required.  The following is a listing of the various stamps and permits applicable to Wyoming hunting.

Conservation Stamp – Required of all licensed hunters or anglers with several exceptions.  It is not required of holders of daily fishing or hunting licenses.  It is also not required of persons exercising hunting or fishing privileges granted by Pioneer Licenses or Pioneer Heritage Hunting or Fishing licenses.  However, if a pioneer license holder is exercising privileges other than those granted by a pioneer license, a conservation stamp is required.  For example, a person may hold a pioneer fishing license where no stamp is required, but may purchase a resident deer license requiring a stamp.

Pheasant Management Permit – Required of most pheasant hunters including youth who do not need a bird license and holders of the Pioneer Bird/Small Game license, who hunt areas wherever pheasants may be stocked from Game and Fish Department bird farms. These areas include Game and Fish wildlife habitat management areas, numerous walk-in areas, Glendo State Park and all state lands in Sheridan and Johnson Counties.  A complete listing or areas where the stamp is required is found on page 17 of the Upland Bird Regulations pamphlet. An exception is made for landowners and their immediate families who hunt pheasants on their lands enrolled in the walk-in program.  An exception is also made for hunters who hunt walk-in areas in Bighorn, Fremont, Hot Springs, Park and Washakie counties where pheasants are not released by the Department.

Elk Feedground Special Management Permit – This permit is required of all hunters who hunt elk in areas 70, 71, 74, 75, and 77-98.

Federal Migratory Bird Hunting Stamp (Duck Stamp) – Required of all waterfowl hunters 16 years of age and older. Required for Ducks, Geese and Mergansers (Not required for doves, sandhill cranes, coots, snipe, rails or crows).

Harvest Information Program Permit (HIP permit) – Required of all licensed hunters who hunt migratory game birds.  The HIP permit is also applicable for holders of Pioneer and Lifetime hunting licenses.  HIP permits are nontransferable to other states.  A separate validation is required in each state where migratory birds are hunted.