Additional Georgia Hunters for the Hungry Donation Sites Available this Weekend
As the season of giving continues in Georgia’s hunting circles, additional opportunities to donate to Georgia’s Hunters for the Hungry program open this weekend. In addition to the ten participating processor collection locations available now through Jan. 15, six weekend collection sites make sharing the harvest with those in need even easier.
Cedar Creek Wildlife Management Area near Monticello will accept donations Nov. 13-15 from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Locations in Albany, Statesboro, Newnan, Rockmart and Rome also will accept donations Nov. 15-16 from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. The locations are as follows:
- Albany – Solo Archery and Guns; 1741 Philema Rd.
- Statesboro – Lamar Q. Ball Jr. Raptor Center; Georgia Southern University
- Newnan – Royal Baptist Church; Hwy. 34 Bypass North to Royal Mayo Rd.
- Rockmart – Lamar’s Sports Center; 392 Atlanta Hwy.
- Rome – Lavender Mountain Hardware; 4065 Martha Berry Hwy., NW
Hunters interested in donating to the GHFTH program should bring field-dressed deer to any of the locations listed above this weekend. All hunters who donate a deer during this collection period will be entered into a drawing for a deer rifle, sponsored by the Georgia Wildlife Federation.
“The Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program is one opportunity for hunters to share their harvest with those in need,” says John Bowers, Wildlife Resources Division assistant chief of Game Management. “We hope by providing these additional drop-off sites that more hunters will participate.”
The Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division along with the Georgia Department of Corrections, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia Wildlife Federation and the Georgia State Association of Food Banks sponsor the annual Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program.
Thanks to these partners, the efforts of Georgia hunters and participating meat processors, last year nearly 29,000 pounds of venison were collected, processed and distributed to food banks across the state, providing more than 143,000 meals for needy Georgians. Since the program’s inception in 1993, more than 225,000 pounds of venison have been donated.
For those unable to donate this weekend, the ten following processor locations will continue accepting donations during normal business hours through Jan. 15.
- Axson – Lee’s Deer & Meat Processing (912) 422-3079
- Baldwin – JJ’s Deer Processing (706) 776-2819
- Canton – Mitch’s Archery & Deer Cooler (770) 479-7004
- Columbus – Daffin’s Meat Processing (706) 322-8848
- Dawson – Mossey Creek Outdoors (229) 995-4109
- Irwinton – Starley’s Deer Processing (478) 946-8976
- Jefferson – Sealy’s Deer Cooler (706) 335-9304
- Sparta – Garner’s Grinder (706) 444-9228
- Tifton – Safety-Rite Foods (229) 382-1242
- Vidalia – Stewart’s Quality Meats, Inc. (912) 537-9888
For more information on donating food to those in need during other times of the year, call the Atlanta Community Food Bank at (404) 892-FEED. For more information on the GHFTH program, visit www.gohuntgeorgia.com , www.gwf.org ,contact a WRD Game Management office or call (770) 761-3045.