Volunteers Needed for Stewardship Workdays in Southeast Michigan
Volunteers are needed to help hand pull garlic mustard, an invasive nonnative plant, at several parks. These activities will help protect and restore the unique natural areas in these southeast Michigan state parks. Volunteering for these workdays is a great way to “GO-Get Outdoors” and enjoy spring.
Dates, times and locations of the workdays are as follows:
- Saturday, April 4, at Island Lake Recreation Area (Livingston Co.), 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Sunday, April 5, at Algonac State Park (St. Clair Co.), 1 to 4 p.m.
- Saturday, April 11, at Bald Mountain Recreation Area (Oakland Co.), 9 a.m. to noon
- Saturday, April 18, at Brighton Recreation Area (Livingston Co.), 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Sunday, April 19, at Pinckney Recreation Area (Washtenaw Co.), 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Saturday, April 25, at Waterloo Recreation Area (Washtenaw Co.), 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Sunday, April 26, at Highland Recreation Area (Oakland Co.), 1 to 4 p.m.
Volunteers should bring appropriate clothing for outdoor work, including long pants, boots, gloves, eye protection and drinking water.
For more information about the specific tasks at each location and to obtain directions, visit the DNR Web site at www.michigan.gov/dnrvolunteers and link to the Calendar of Volunteer Stewardship Workdays. All volunteers are asked to register using the forms available online. A special form for all seed collecting activities is available at the top of the calendar listing. Any questions should be directed to Laurel Malvitz-Draper at (248) 359-9057 or malvitz [at] michigan [dot] gov.