Texas Outdoor Family – Big Bend Ranch State Park (3 night special)
Ever dream of taking a camping to the Big Bend region but just don’t know where to start? This 3 night guided trip takes you on a car camping adventure to Texas’s Biggest State Park. Highlights include camping and floating down the Rio Grande, guided hikes to rock art and desert camping into the interior of the park.
- Big Bend Ranch State Park
- Individual car camping sites for each family
- Rustic Restrooms (composting) hot showers on day 2 and 3 only
- Overnight State Park Police Officer public safety and security
- Thanks to TPWD sponsors, the basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Participants will need to bring their own food, plates, sleeping bags and personal items. Click here for a suggested packing list: TOFPackingList
Please note Special Agenda & Activities (call for more details)
Meet at Barton Warnock Environmental Education Center for orientation and instruction 4.00pm
- Credible Campers & Campsites in the desert:
- Building Base Camp: Families come together, gather equipment and build base camp for night
- Fire Building and Outdoor Cooking Tips: How to safely build fires and cook on open flames / grills
- Experience the natural wonders at night: Celebrating nature’s natural night noises at State Parks
Break camp and take guided float down the Rio Grande (at least 4 hour trip)
- Tour of Fort Leaton State Historic Site
- Stock up on provisions in Presidio and drive into interior of State Park
- Camp at South Leva Group Camp Site (dinner option at Bunk House)
- Caching in on State Park Trails: Trail adventure and exploration through GPS and Geo-caching
- Guided hikes to rock art with State Park Rangers
- Exploration of Big Bend Ranch State Park
- Evening camp fire and slide show program
- Coffee and chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation
- Know Before You Go … Breaking Camp and Leaving no Trace of your stay
- State Park Junior Ranger Certification Programs – Targeted Audience: 5-12 years of age
- Environmentally-friendly program which adopts and teaches the ‘Leave No Trace’ philosophy and practices
- Additional programs specifically for use and enjoyment of a state park
- A shopping list/menu will be provided; you will need to bring your own food. Click here to see the suggested shopping list: TOFShoppingList
- Instructors will teach you how to enjoy family camp cooking.
- $110 per family (up to 6 individuals) – includes all entry and camping fees and canoe rental / shuttle.
- You will be asked to bring your family’s food for the two-day event and a suggested list of items will be provided.
How to Register
- Call 512-389-8903 and ask to speak to one of our “Texas Outdoor Family” customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. They can answer any questions you might have and also can provide the contact number for partner site workshops.
- You will receive a confirmation packet with directions and more details will be sent to you after you are registered for a Texas Outdoor Family workshop.
- Please note that all reservations and full payment must be made at least five business days in advance of the workshops. All fees are non-refundable.