FWP Seeks Comments From Anglers
“We are looking to anglers for their thoughts on what issues should be addressed when we propose the 2012-2015 fishing regulation changes to the FWP Commission this August, said Don Skaar, FWP fish management section supervisor.
Some of the issues for consideration have statewide significance. For example:
- restrictions on the collection and movement of live bait to prevent the spread of invasive species;
- regulations by species allowing one standard regulation and one exception for each fishing district; and
- allowing some harvest of cutthroat hybrids in locations where the hybrids are a threat to pure cutthroat populations.
Other issues are region- or fishing district-based, including:
- making trout limits on the Missouri and Smith Rivers simpler in FWP Region 4;
- eliminating harvest in favor of catch-and-release only for bull trout on Lake Koocanusa and Hungry Horse Reservoir in FWP Region 2; and
- reducing catfish limits in the Eastern Fishing District to conserve this native species.
A brochure describing these and other issues is available on the FWP web site at fwp.mt.gov, at fishing license providers and at most FWP offices.
April 22 is the deadline to comment via the FWP web site at fwp.mt.gov , or by mail to: FWP Fisheries Bureau, P.O. Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701.