Kids Fishing Events in SE Colorado
LAMAR, Colo. – Boys, girls, moms, dads or anyone interested in fishing is invited to attend any or all of Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s free fishing clinics in lower Arkansas River Valley this spring.
“These events are geared toward children of all ages and are a great way for people to learn how to improve their fishing skills, meet people and have some fun,” said Linda Groat, an outdoor education specialist with the Colorado Parks and Wildlife. “We cover tips for all kinds of fishing including spin casting, bait fishing, types of flies and lures, water safety, fish ID, and strategies for catching more fish.”
Groat said people can bring their own pole, or fishing poles and bait will be provided for the kids.
Fishing clinics will be held at the following dates and locations:
- April 20 at Mid Western Farms SWA, east of Granada, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., hot dog lunch
- April 28 at Hudnall Pond in La Animas, 1 – 4 p.m.
- May 4 at Turks Pond SWA in Baca County, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., includes lunch
- May 4 at John Martin State Park, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Parks pass required.
- May 19 at Jackson’s Pond in Eads, Noon – 4 p.m., includes lunch
- May 26 at La Junta City Park Pond, 8 – 11 a.m.
Food will be provided at some events, but Groat suggests participants bring their own snacks, water, a lawn chair, sunscreen and hat.
“If you can only make one of these family-fun fishing events, you should consider John Martin,” said Groat. “The Parks and Wildlife staff plan a big event with lots of activities for the whole family.”
Participants over the age of 16 must have a valid Colorado fishing license. To register or get more information, call 719-336-6608.