Bob Wise, Governor
2003-04 Hunting Seasons for Waterfowl in West Virginia
West Virginia waterfowl hunting season dates and bag limits for ducks, gallinules, mergansers, coots, Canada geese, snow and blue geese, and brant have been established for 2003, according to the Division of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Section. These regulations were developed within guidelines established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
(a) Zone 1--Entire state except Zone 2
Zone 2 - Beginning at the West Virginia state line the eastern boundary extends south along US Route 220 through Keyser , West Virginia to the intersection US Route 50, and follows US Route 50 to the intersection with State Route 93. The boundary follows State Route 93 south to the intersection with State Route 42 and continues south on State Route 42 to Petersburg . At Petersburg , the boundary follows State Route 28 south to Minnehaha Springs and then follows State Route 39 west to US Route 219 and follows 219 south to the intersection of Interstate 64. The southern boundary follows I-64 west to the intersection with US Route 60, and follows Route 60 west to the intersection of US Route 19. The western boundary follows Route 19 north to the intersection of I-79 and follows I-79 north to the intersection of I-68. The northern boundary follows I-68 east to the Maryland state line.
(b) The daily bag limit for falconry hunting is three (3) migratory game birds in the aggregate and the possession limit is six (6) migratory game birds in the aggregate.
(c) After first day.
(d) The bag limit for the youth waterfowl day is the same as the daily limit for regular duck and goose seasons.
(e) The daily duck bag limit of six (6) can include no more than: one (1) pintail, one (1) canvasback, four (4) long tailed duck (old squaw), three (3) scaup, one (1) black duck, two (2) wood ducks, two (2) redheads, four (4) scoters, and four (4) mallards of which only two (2) may be hens. The duck possession limit may include only twice the daily bag limit.
(f) The daily merganser bag limit may include only one (1) hooded merganser, with a possession limit of two (2).
(g) Pintail and canvasback hunting is permitted only during the last 30 days of the second segment of the duck season in each Zone. Bag limit is one (1)per day and two (2) in possession.
Sunday Hunting — Waterfowl hunting is prohibited on Sundays except on privately owned lakes, ponds or impoundments and on private land in those counties where Sunday hunting has not been prohibited by local election.
SPECIAL STATE REGULATIONS
1. A West Virginia Migratory Waterfowl Stamp is required of every person sixteen (16) years of age and over when hunting or taking any migratory waterfowl, except that the stamp is not required for any person who is exempt from payment of hunting license fees. Neither the state nor federal duck stamp is required to hunt doves, coots, rails, gallinules, snipe or woodcock.
2. All licensed hunters (including lifetime) must possess a valid HIP registration card to hunt any migratory game birds.
3. Youth waterfowl hunting day is open to youth ages 15 and younger for taking ducks, geese, coots, gallinules and mergansers. Youth hunters must be accompanied by a licensed adult age 21 or older. The accompanying adult may not hunt or possess a firearm.
4. It is lawful to hunt waterfowl on major waterways, lakes, and reservoirs of the state during the gun season for deer should the waterfowl season be open.
5. Only nontoxic shot size T or smaller shall be used or in the hunters possession while hunting waterfowl.
6. McClintic Wildlife Management Area
(a) Hunting hours for waterfowl within the controlled waterfowl hunting area will be from legal shooting time until 12:00 noon (prevailing time) October 1 - October 11, 2003 (except Sundays).
(b) Waterfowl hunting in the controlled hunt area will be by permit only. This area is designated by signs, and includes Ponds 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 36, 39, and 40. Applications for a permit must be received at the Division of Natural Resources, Route 1, Box 484 , Point Pleasant , West Virginia 25550 , prior to September 6, 2003 .
7. Green Bottom Wildlife Management Area
(a) Hunting hours for waterfowl will be from legal shooting time until 12:00 noon during the first half of the split waterfowl season October 1 - October 11, 2003 (except Sundays).
(b) Waterfowl hunting will be by permit only. Permits will be issued between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. each day of the hunting season at the area headquarters.
8. Deed restrictions prohibit all hunting, including waterfowl, at Warden Lake WMA.
A complete regulations brochure for West Virginia's 2003-04 Migratory Bird Hunting Seasons is available at all Division of Natural Resources district offices. They may also be obtained by writing to the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Section, Capitol Complex, Building 3, Charleston , WV 25305 .
Click Here To Return To The Previous Page