ARCHERY DEER SEASON TO OPEN SATURDAY, SEPT. 27
PIERRE – South Dakota’s archery deer season will begin Saturday, Sept. 27, and remain open through Dec. 31. Archers are reminded about the new archery equipment restrictions set earlier this year, and that archery licenses are unlimited in number and available throughout the archery season.
New modifications for archery equipment include:
1) Prohibit use of a bow with an arrow rest that has more than 3 inches of continuous contact with the arrow.
2) Prohibit electronic, bow-mounted devices that aid in the taking of game.
3) Prohibit electronically-aided releases of any kind.
4) Modify broadhead restrictions to provide that broadheads must be made of metal, be at least 7/8 inch wide and must have at least two cutting edges with a combined cutting edge length that must be at least as long as the broadhead is wide.
5) Prohibit use of points or broadheads that are hydraulic, pneumatic or explosive.
6) Prohibit use of arrow and attached broadhead that together weigh less than 275 grains for all big game hunting.
7) Prohibit the use of mechanical broadheads for elk and prohibit the use of mechanical broadheads with a cutting diameter greater than 1 7/8 inches for other big game.
8) Prohibit compound bows that have more than an 80 percent let off.
9) Prohibit bows that are shorter than 28 inches, axle to axle.
Shooting hours are one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
Residents and nonresidents are eligible for all archery deer units. Hunters may possess one statewide archery deer license (Unit 700A) or one East River (Unit 700B) and/or one West River (Unit 700C) archery deer license. Hunters with the statewide license may not purchase either the East River or West River license. Hunters may not purchase more than one East River nor more than one West River license.
Although there is an unlimited number of regular archery licenses and no deadline, all licenses must be either purchased at the Licensing Office in Pierre, by paper application via postal mail or online with a credit card atwww.state.sd.us/gfp/. Archery licenses may be purchased throughout the archery season (Sept. 27-Dec. 31).
Click Here To Return To The Previous Page